Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Build Has Started!

Since the last post was written, I have received the missing rod and some extra parts too from ThreadShop!

I won't go into detail about the assembly since it is all very straight forward, especially after Garry Hodgson created the Prusa Mendel Visual Instructions. I have to be honest, I am very very impressed with the instructions; there is almost no ambiguity and everything comes together quite perfect!

Before I get to some pictures of the build I want to mention one thing that confused me at first. Instead of snap on bushings, I was sent bushing holders and metal bushings. I was really unsure of how this would all come into play, but after I started building the Prusa it all came together.

The Frame Coming Together!
Well, this was exciting! I went from nothing to a frame in almost no time at all. It was unbelievably easy to get this far. Everything seems to fit well and go very smoothly. The only small issue I ran into was that the rods were not perfectly cut on each end and sometimes was not perfectly smooth and round. This meant that for some rods, I had to put the nuts on from one side to get around this. Nothing I could not handle though!

A Motor Bracket
 As an electrical engineer, it has been years since I have done anything mechanical. This is getting to be a lot of fun!
Upper Motor Bracket (Z-Axis)
Here is a close up of the z-axis which is on top of the frame. Two stepper motors are used for the z-axis on the Prusa. I hope my motors fit! We will see when they arrive.

Bushings
As I mentioned above, the bushings gave me a bit of frustration. At first I was at a loss as to how it all worked. The metal bushings did not fit in the bushing holders and I was not sure if I was doing something wrong. After a few emails to both the people who sold me the hardware and the printed parts, I was not doing anything wrong and I just needed to sand down the inside of the bushing holders a bit. I was very scared at first of breaking the plastic part, but after a few bushings snapped in just fine I become more comfortable. I found that the best way to sand down the inside of the holders was to first scratch the inside with a knife to get some material loose; then finally sand down the inside using one of the threaded rods. It worked quite well as you can.

I am not sure what I will do next, but I will be sure to keep you all updated.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to watching your build progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Engineering is one thing which isn't easy and takes lot of time. good to see that you have started on your porject and can't wait to see the final product. Thanks for updating us on it

    ReplyDelete